Darrell G. Waas
Darrell graduated from the University of Colorado School of Law, where he served on the Board of Editors of the Law Review and received highest honors. He started as an associate at the Denver law firm Fairfield and Woods, and later became a shareholder and director at Otten Johnson Robinson Neff & Ragonetti, P.C. – where he served as a senior litigator for approximately 25 years, until forming Waas Campbell Rivera in 2009.
Darrell is one of the most experienced and accomplished civil litigators in Colorado. He has been recognized by leading publications and legal organizations for the highest levels of professional achievement, including the highest peer recognition (AV) by Martindale-Hubbell, and many years of recognition among the Best lawyers in America and as a Colorado Super Lawyer. Darrell has been named by the Denver Business Journal as a Newsmaker of the Year and by Colorado law Week as lawyer of the Year. Darrell has served as lead trial counsel in many notable cases, including:
- Colorado’s largest eminent domain award – $50 Million awarded by a jury to the owner of the Telluride Valley Floor;
- A complete defense verdict on behalf of the design team for the DIA Terminal after a six week jury trial in which the City sought $42 Million for 725 alleged design defects;
- Two defense victories in jury trials involving allegations of over $1 Billion of damages in a case in Federal Court in a Qui Tam action under the False Claims Act;
- A jury verdict on behalf of a large religious organization against Boulder County to overturn a land use decision on the basis of religious discrimination;
- Recovery of a judgment in excess of $10 Million against a major national real estate developer for breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing;
- Recovery of over $8 Million for a contractor in an action against the U.S. Army in a proceeding before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals;
- Dozens of successful actions on behalf or creditors and debtors in the Bankruptcy Court; and
- Hundreds of business disputes resolved without litigation, or prior to trial, including representation of minority owners in disputes with oppressive majority owners.
Darrell is well known for his effectiveness in court, but is also involved in every aspect of designing and implementing a problem solving plan to meet the strategic objectives set by the client.
ADMISSIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
- State of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of the United States
- American Bar Association, Colorado Bar Association and Denver Bar Association